Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Patience

Proverbs 14: 29 A patient man has great understanding, but a quick-tempered man displays folly.

Proverbs 19: 11 A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense.

I have an application on my Blackberry that downloads a daily scripture reading. Several days ago, I read these verses. When I read them, I had to stop and think. My first reaction was that my father had never read these verses. I laughed about that for awhile (He was a very impatient man).

But then, I had to think about me. How do these apply to me? I like to think I have a great deal of wisdom and understanding. I like to think that I am not foolish. The question, of course, is do I display patience? Sometimes, I do. Unfortunately, sometimes I do not.

When I am driving and I see someone tailgating me on a two lane road, I have started pulling over when I can to let them get to where they want to go in such a hurry. That, to me, is a sign of understanding. I’m displaying patience. I will let someone in line ahead of me in traffic sometimes. I’ll laugh to myself at the people who cut in front of me in a line, sometimes, patiently and quietly waiting.

But, most people who know me would probably say that is not the whole story. Sometimes I am that person doing the tailgating. Sometimes I am rude to people who are not ready to pay the cashier after waiting in line forever. Sometimes I am impatient.

Why does Solomon equate patience with wisdom and understanding? Why doesn’t he blame it on bad genes? Why doesn’t he say it’s just the way a person is and they can’t help it? I guess Solomon observed that impatience is a problem with a lack of wisdom and or understanding.

If I understand that sometimes I’m the one who forgets to have my payment handy when I’m checking out, then maybe I’ll be a little more patient when I see someone else do it. If I understand that the old man who is poking along in front of me will be me someday, than maybe I can muster up some patience. If I understand that with all my rushing around impatiently I may be missing an opportunity for God to speak to me, then maybe I can slow down and patiently accept what God wants to teach me today. If I understand that it was only the Good Samaritan that took the time to minister to the man in need, I might patiently look around to see where God would want me to minister today.

How about the part that says, “It is to his glory to overlook an offense.” That’s what God did for me. He could have demanded that I pay for my sins with my blood. How many times have I offended Him?

Ouch. This hurts and I don’t like it one bit.

Lord, help me to patiently live today. Help me to understand that nothing will happen to me today that you are not aware of. Help me to understand that you may have some work for me today that requires to me to patiently wait in a line or patiently stop to minister. Help me to remember that You have overlooked my offenses, and I should be happy to over look the offenses of others. Help me to patiently wait on You for guidance today.

No comments:

Post a Comment